Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Lesson in Alternate Spellings...

     While looking over our grandfather George Burns' siblings, I had a nagging gap of information.  I had never found the death record for his sister Frances.  I knew she had married and had a son.  I found his birth record in the Minnesota Birth Index as William Waller. In newspaper articles, Frances was referred to as Mrs. W. H. Waller.  Well....
     I had never considered an alternate spelling!  Someone on Ancestry used the spelling Wallar.  My gap resolved.  Her husband's name was actually Henry Wentworth Wallar. 
     I should have known to be more creative!  Experiences trying to find out Stella Lazewski's real maiden name and looking for Dohertys in indices should have reinforced this for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment