Sunday, March 7, 2010

James J. Hogan

         This is my mom's dad, James J. Hogan. He often went by J. J. Hogan.  He was born in 1881 in Camp Lake, Swift County, Minnesota. His parents were Bridget Whalen and Michael J. Hogan.  
         It was a surprise to me when I learned that he had been married before he married my grandmother. I found this out by reading the Belle Plaine Herald.  James and his wife attended the funeral of his grandmother, Julia Sheehan Whalen in 1919.  I knew it couldn't be Grammy. His first wife's name was Clare Strecker.  They were married 28 Jun 1911 at St. Patrick's Church, St. Paul, Minnesota.  As my great Aunt Lill told it, there was a big brouhaha over this marriage because Clare was not Catholic.  The priest tried to convince him that there were many fine Irish Catholic girls available.  He said he wouldn't have them. 
        Clare died in 1920.  There were no children from this marriage. 
        Jim Hogan worked for the railroad as a brakeman and died in a work related accident. This left Catherine Morehead Hogan, also called Cass, with 3 young children to raise.  Their children were Lois Catherine, born 1926; Catherine Marion, born 1928; Marguerite Luella, born 1930 and James Patrick, born 1932.  Lois Catherine died 22 Dec 1928.  Her death certificate actually says she is a boy and does not give her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment